Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker
A work permit allows you to live and work in Canada for a temporary period. However, if your job is extended or if it changes, and if you wish to extend your stay in Canada as a worker,
you should apply for an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker permit. This is commonly referred to as Form IMM 5710.
How to Apply?
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, you will have to meet certain requirements and submit supporting documentation with your application. Applicants will need to produce the following documents:
- Prove to an officer that they will leave Canada when their employment is complete.
- Prove that they can take care of themselves financially while in Canada.
- Prove that they do not have a criminal record (this is achieved with police clearance certificates, if necessary).
- Undergo a medical examination (if required).
- Show that they will not work for an ineligible employer.
- Show that they have not worked in Canada for four years since April 1, 2011.
There are some additional documents that may be required in order to extend your stay in Canada as a worker, and these include:
- An Employment offer to a Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- Evidence that they are eligible for the job you wish to work.
- Employment contract.
One thing that you should keep in mind is that the application to extend your stay in Canada as a worker should be made at least 90 days before the expiration of your current work permit. The passport must be valid for your entire stay in Canada, including the extended period. The work permits may be renewed up to four total years of work in Canada.
How can I apply for Work permit Extension?
WP extension can be of two types, LMIA based or LMIA exempt. In case its LMIA based, you need an employer who is ready to hire you and he has approved LMIA.
You need to prepare documents to satisfy officer that you meet the requirements of the Job offer. Primarily it’s the education and the relevant experience that matters.
Take professional help in order to get best possible results in your situation. Team at Stepwise have done multiple applications of this nature.
"Mr. Navjot (MD, Stepwise Immigration) is amazing at what he does and is an ethical and consummate professional; he made us feel calm and took the time to answer all of our many questions. When we first came to him, we felt lost and thought the immigration process would be long and cumbersome. But Mr. Navjot explained clearly to us what was happening, gave us a plan of action, and followed us through the plan. We could not be more happier with his services, and how everything has come together. High quality of service, respect and care for the customer and very reasonable professional charges sets him apart from the other consultants in this business. I highly recommend using Stepwise Immigration Services for anyone going through this process."
(Work Permit extension)