Welcome to STEPWISE Immigration Services LTD 

Talk to expert

+1 778 887 7305

Apply Now

Business Phone
Contact time

Mon-Fri: 10.00-18.00

Don’t lose your PR for failing to follow the residential obligation

November 7, 2019BY StepWise Immigration

Canadian permanent residents are required to spend at least 730 days in the last five years in Canada to renew their PR cards. The last five years will be counted from the date when they apply for a PR card renewal. Many immigrants go back to their home country after obtaining a status of landed immigrants and do not return to Canada. Once the PR card is expired, a Canadian PR can apply for a travel document to come to Canada. One can lose a PR status for the following reasons: you decide to voluntarily give up your permanent resident status; you become a Canadian citizen; you have not met the requirement of living in Canada for two out of five years, or you have been issued a removal order