Under the new pilots, applicants will be assessed for permanent residence criteria before they begin working in Canada. Once the caregiver has their work permit and 2 years of work experience, they will have access to a direct pathway to become a permanent resident.
These pilot programs will replace the Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots and include:
- Occupation-specific work permits for caregivers, providing the ability to change jobs quickly when necessary.
- Open work permits for spouses/common-law partners and study permits for dependent children, to allow the caregiver’s family to accompany them to Canada.
In addition, the Minister also launched the Interim Pathway for Caregivers, which will be open from March 4, 2019, until June 4, 2019.
You must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada as a home child care provider in the four years (48 months) before you apply.
- full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week
- you can have breaks in employment (for example, periods where you were not employed, sick leave, parental leave)
- any work experience you had while you were a full-time student does not count
As a home child care provider, your work must match the description in Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411.
- foster parents are not eligible
- you must show that you performed the duties in the job description, including most of the main duties
You must have cared for children under the age of 18, in your own home or in your employer’s home. You do not need to have lived in your employer’s home to qualify
How to Apply
Initiate the process of hiring a temporary foreign worker. The Employer needs to meet minimum LICO specifications
Follow the process of hiring and get the ESDC approval if the employer does not get a local employee
Once you get the LMIA approval, you can submit the work permit application for the employee and then subsequently Permanent residence
"Everyone at Stepwise Immigration was so helpful. There is always someone available to answer my questions or help me as and when needed. They will let you know complete checklist of required documents and are thorough as to what all will suffice to convince the officers. Mr. Navjot Singh is very dedicated and professional consultant. I saw that it was a step by step thorough procedure of preparing my file that at times when I saw the thick file it used to astonish me that how did we get there. Everything was so thorough but smooth. Every sentence, each word was corrected and edited till Mr. Singh was satisfied. They never gave us false hope. I would refer him to everyone in my friend’s circle and family."
(CARE GIVER PROGRAM)